After having a sweet week last week, now we go back to the proper food. This time is really Indonesian. And it’s from Bali. I’m pretty sure more people know Bali than Indonesia. Well, FYI, Bali is IN Indonesia. I’ve never been there my self though, not a big fan of that island to be honest. Because I grew up in a town that surrounded by the sea too. Everywhere you go in my home town, Balikpapan, you can see sea
This is only my third times making this whole roasted chicken. I am a big fan of roasted meat, it’s healthier than frying them. But I never like cooking whole chicken. I always think it’s a lot of work (even though it isn’t), but actually… I’m a weird cook. I don’t like and scared of putting my hand inside the chicken. So it was always my one and lovely hubby helped me stuffing the chicken Weird, see? And I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before too that I’m scared of a whole fish (where you can see the head). And now, is even worse
1 whole chicken, room temperature
300g savoy cabbage, sliced, boiled
7 red chilies
5 garlic cloves
1 tsp ground coriander
1 lemon grass, sliced
2 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp ground galangal
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp ground ginger
4 lime leaves
salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Put all the spices (except lemon grass, cloves and the leaves) in a food processor and blitz until smooth and thick paste.
- In a hot pan with 3 tbsp oil, saute the paste until fragrance. Then add cloves, lemon grass and the leaves. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Take half of the paste out from the pan, set aside.
- Add your boiled cabbage and mix well with the remaining paste in the pan. Add salt and pepper to your taste,
- Get aluminium foil ready to wrap the chicken, so make sure its not too small.
- Put the chicken in the middle of the foil.
- Rub the chicken with salt and pepper (skin, under the skin and the inside part of the chicken).
- Put the cabbage stuffing into the chicken. Put as much as you can,
- Rub the the other half of the paste into the skin chicken. And if you cabbage left, you can just put it around the chicken.
- Wrap the chicken with the foil and make sure everything covered so you won’t get burn spot.
- Put the chicken to your baking dish (to prevent the water / juice leaking to your baking tray and oven, will be difficult to clean) and roast for 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve hot with jasmine rice.