Gloomy monday *sigh*. Been raining since last night. Very wet and cold. So I have no choice but to make something with broth
again. Sorry for that though. It’s just my habit that when the weather is cold, I mostly cook food with broth or soup.
Basically, this is a beef soup (I added carrots because I was too lazy to cook another vegetable side dish ). Usually we eat this with a squirt of lime juice, chilli sauce, sweet soy sauce, crackers and of course rice.
I highly recommend this if you like Asian style soup. But it might be a bit tricky to find all the spices (sorry for that).
And sorry that most of my posts have been really short lately. Because I’m in that “mood” again, where I can’t really find anything interesting to write about. But hey, I still wrote the recipe :D
- 700g beef, cubed
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 candle nuts
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 lemon grass, crushed
- 2 cloves
- 2 Indonesian bay leaves (salam leaves)
- 100ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt & pepper
- Boil the beef until nice and tender with medium heat.
- Place onion, garlic, candle nuts, turmeric and nutmeg in a food processor. Blitz until smooth.
- In a large pot, add the oil and saute the spice paste until fragrance.
- Add lemon grass, salam leaf and cloves. Saute a bit more for 1 minute.
- Add the beef into the paste and add the beef stock (the one you used to cook the beef).
- Add coconut milk, salt and pepper. Stir well. Let it boil for 3 minutes.
- Add sliced carrots and spring onion. Turn off the heat.
- Serve with warm jasmine rice and chilli sauce (if you like).
note: I know it’s really difficult to find salam leaf outside Indonesia (I had to bring them from Indonesia my self) but you can use regular bay leaf instead. For 2 salam leaves, just use 1 regular bay leaf, since it has stronger smell.