Smörgåstårta or sandwich cake in English is 1 “a must” food if you’re having a party, mostly birthday or wedding. Just like the name, it is a sandwich cake. My definition of sandwich is 2 slices of bread and you put something between them. But my husband’s definition of sandwich is 1 slice of bread and you put something on it. What is your definition of sandwich?
First we’ll take a look at the ingredients (for 6 to 8 portions).
Bread, mayo, creme fraiche, canned tuna, canned corn, fresh cream, lemon, prawns, eggs, salt and pepper.
And for decorations:
Lets make the fillings.
Tuna / Egg mayo:
– 1 can of tuna / 2 eggs (chopped or grated)
– 1 tbsp mayonnaise
– 1/2 tsp lemon juice
– salt and pepper.
Prawn with creme fraiche:
-200 grams cooked small prawns
– 1 tbsp creme fraiche
– 1 tsp lemon juice
– salt and pepper
– Chopped dill (forgot to buy dill 😦 )
Set aside all the fillings.
– Cut off the edges of the bread and spread some butter on all of them (don’t throw the crusts, you can use it for bread crumbs. Put them in the oven (100 C) for at least 2 hours)
– Take 4 slices of bread put them next to each other so you’ll have 1 big square of bread.
– Spread the filling (your choice). Repeat this process until you’ve done everything. As for the prawns you can add canned corn as well, or you can put the corn with the tuna. It’s all up to you 🙂
– Whisk the cream and left over creme fraiche together, add a bit salt, pepper and lemon.
– Spread the cream all over the cake (just like when you decorate a “normal” cake)
– Decorate the cake with things you have (lemon, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, eggs, smoked salmon, caviar, or anything you like). Just let your imagination lead you 🙂
So, as you can see here, it looks like all-in-one meal. Protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins from veggies. And it looks nice too (taste nice of course). It can be your “other choice” if you want to surprise someone on their birthday. Instead of sweet cake, you give them savoury cake 😀
If you make one for your self, tell me about it. What do you think and stuffs. Unless if you’re Swedish, then no need to tell me about it :p
Note: You can also make another fillings. Any kind of sandwiches you like.