Learn Swedish ^^
Kyckling = chicken
Paj = pie
But why Kycklingpaj is only one word? The answer only my Swedish husband can answer that. And you can ask him here in his blog :p Well, actually I have no right to teach Swedish here. Since I need to teach my self a lot more first, but I share some words I know with you anyway 😀
It was a very grey and stormy Sunday, last weekend. I mean really almost storm. Here in Gothenburg, we got class 2 alert from the Government. And we haven’t done our weekly shopping. So I tried to gather everything I have left in my fridge and cupboard, and voila! enough ingredients to make chicken pie. But personally I think this is more like a quiche, don’t you think?
This is actually a simple all-in-one menu. But I made it a bit more complicated here, in case you couldn’t find very nice roasted whole chicken, so I’ll share with you my version.
note: I use dl (deciliters) here, because I got the recipe from my mother-in-law. And I’m too lazy to convert everything. Sorry about that. But 1 dl is 100 ml. So should be easy 🙂
4 dl AP flour
150 grams butter
4 tsp cold water
– Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
– Mix all ingredients by hand or by food processor if you feel lazy.
– Cover the pie form with it.
– Make holes with fork in lots of places and rest 15 mins before you use it.
100 grams sliced button mushroom
15 cm white part of the leek
100 grams canned corn
1 chopped medium onion
2 chicken breasts (diced)
1/2 tsp ground garlic, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, chilli, black pepper, ginger, caraway and salt.
– In a hot pan, add 2 tbsp oil.
– Put in diced chicken breasts and the spices. Saute until half cooked.
– Add onion, leek and mushroom.
– Lastly add corn and turn off the heat. Let it cool down.
4 dl fresh cream
50 ml milk
150 grams grated cheese (any hard cheese except parmesan)
salt and pepper
– Mix all ingredients. Set aside.
– Half cooked the pie pastry until its golden brown colour.
– Mix the filling with cream mixture.
– Pour the filling into the pie form and bake for at least 25 minutes.
– When its cooked, turn off the oven and open the oven door and let it rest for 5 minutes.
– Serve with your favourite salad!