I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for ages. But I hate it too. This sweet is very tricky. Easy but difficult, you know what I mean? No? Oh, well. Sometimes I got a great result sometimes a BIG disappointment from this pastry. But when I made this last weekend, it was in between. Some of them looked nice, some…. not really.
Still want to share the recipe with you anyway. Maybe you’ll have more luck than me? 😀
Ingredients for choux pastry shell:
120 grams butter
250 grams flour
500 ml cold water
– Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
– Melt butter and water in a hot over medium heat.
– Add flour gradually, keep stirring after you add some flour, make sure no lumps.
– Cool it down by hand or standing mixer with beater blade, set it to low speed.
– When it cool down you can gradually add the eggs.
– Mix well.
– With a pastry bag, pipe the mixture on to the baking tray and give them 3 cm apart from each other.
– Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
– When its done, open the oven door very little to let the temperature cooling down slowly. After 2 minutes you can turn off the oven but leave the pastry i it for another 5 to 10 minutes then you can take them out.
note: DO NOT open the oven door while this baking, otherwise it will lose the shape.
Ingredients for filling:
2 egg yolks
50 grams corn flour
500 ml milk
75 grams caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
– Mix egg yolk with corn flour and 1/4 part of the milk, set aside.
– Mix sugar, vanilla and milk, bring to boil.
– Pour milk mixture to egg yolk mixture.
– Pour the mixture back to the pot and keep stirring until its thick.
– Cut half the pastry and fill it with the filling.
– Sprinkle some icing sugar on top. Serve.
Another idea is you can fill this pastry with vanilla ice cream (or any flavour you like), pour melted dark or milk chocolate on top. Sprinkle with toasted almond flakes. Yummy!
Happy baking! 🙂