When winter comes, cold and dark, soup always the best choice. But this one is very different soup, still very nice though 🙂
In Indonesia, we don’t have any cold season, but we still eat this soup anytime we want. Warm soup, warm weather, warm drink. I know it might sound crazy, maybe I have to admit that :p
Oh well, this is one of favourite food too, even my daughter likes this too. The broth is nice and light, perfect for comfort food 🙂
In the picture you can see some cabbage there as well but not in ingredients. That’s because I’m a lazy cook, since no vegetables in the soup, I decided to throw some cabbage in it too. Too lazy to make another vegetable side dish :p
– 500 grams beef shoulder
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 1 banana shallot
– 1 big lemon grass (crushed)
– 2 lime leaves
– 1 bay leaf
– 2 cm galangal (crushed)
– 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, coriander, ginger
– 2 kluwak (cracked then soak the inside part in warm water for at least 5 minutes)
– salt and pepper
– Cook beef in a big pot (the beef has to be in when the water still cold).
– Meanwhile, you can blitz kluwak, garlic, shallot, turmeric, ginger and coriander.
– In a pan with 2 tbsp oil, saute the spices until aromatic then add galangal, lemon grass and the leaves.
– Cook for around 2 minutes. Set aside.
– Cut the beef into dice around 1 cm.
– In the beef stock (water from the beef), you can put the spices into it.
– Add the beef, salt and pepper. And wait until it’s boiling. Taste it and serve hot with jasmine rice.
note: You can get all the spices and leaves in Asian shop. As for kluwak, I’m not really sure about it. I suggest you check some Indonesian online shop, I think they always have it. For my self, I always ask my mum to send it for me or when I have chance to go in holiday, I always bring a lot of them. Peeled, and store in freezer. They can last quite long time.