I like this Mediterranean food. But I’m not crazy about it. And the purpose of making this is because I like this sweet. But I had to use my filo pastry that has been sitting in the freezer for while. It was a mistake, I didn’t read the package properly. I wanted to get puff pastry sheet and found this thing with halal label on it. So I was very excited and took it right away. When I get home and ready to make something I have planned, it was a big disappointment. It was filo pastry! Then after that moment, the poor thing had to sit in freezer until I have idea what to use it for :p
One day I found 1 new blog I really like. And there it was. Baklava was the latest post of that blog. And to make it, it needs lots of layers of filo pastry. What a good idea! Even though I had no idea what so ever about the taste. But I just want to try it anyway. Better than wasting the pastry.
So, that was a little bit story behind this sweet. And apparently I liked it! Its really nice and nutty, too bad you can’t really eat too many of this at one time. And let me share my version of baklava (I used what I have in my cupboard :p)
1 pack filo pastry
300 grams ground almond
50 grams sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
150 grams unsalted butter (melted)
100 grams extra unsalted butter for brushing
100 ml honey
150 ml water
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 stick cinnamon
Zest from 1 lime
– Cut filo pastry same size as your pan. Mix butter, sugar, cinnamon and ground almond, set aside.
– Brush the bottom of the pan with butter Put 1 layer of filo the brush again with butter. Repeat process until you have 5 layers. then spread 1/3 of the almond mixture evenly.
– Repeat the process again until you have 10 more layers of filo. Then spread another 1/3 of the mixture.
– Last one, 10 layers of filo then the last 1/3 of the mixture. Then put the remaining filo pastry.
– Cut baklava into small pieces, because if you cut it after its baked, it will be difficult.
– Bake in 165 deg C for around 15 to 20 minutes. Or until light golden colour.
– Bring all ingredients to boil, simmer for 8 minutes. Cool down.
After baklava baked, you can pour the syrup all over it. Or you can pour the syrup when you ready to eat it 🙂
Good luck 🙂