What is jerk chicken? Is it a “jerk chicken”? Why is it a jerk? Those are the questions in my mind the first time I heard about it. Turned out it’s a really nice recipe. I don’t understand why they named it jerk chicken though. Should be good chicken instead :p
I saw this video from Nigella Lawson (again, yes, I told you I’m her fan :p). It looked so easy, quick, tasty and spicy. Oh yes, I love spicy food a loooooot. Though I can’t eat raw chilli for some reasons. I guess because when I was 7 or something I tried to eat raw chilli then I had pain spot in my tongue. Just on that small area, so ever since then I never eat raw chilli anymore. But if it turned to chilli sauce then I don’t mind. No matter how spicy it is. Weird right? I know.. my husband keep saying that to me :p
Back to the jerk guy.. I’ve made this twice so far. This is the second time I made this. And I liked it a lot. The smell from vinegar, chilli and other spices made it perfect. I love the smell. And I’m not that weird and crazy to feed this to my daughter. She has to wait a bit longer until she can eat spicy things 🙂
Just a little reminder here, this is gonna be very spicy and hot. Not really that spicy for me. But my husband was like burning and drank lots of juice and sweets afterwards :p
1 kilo chicken thighs (no skin)
2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp dried tyme
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 cm fresh ginger
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 fresh red chillies
1 onion, peeled
– Put chickens on a big tray.
– Put all the rest of ingredients in a food processor. Blitz until smooth.
– Pour the paste all over the chicken evenly. Leave it for marinate for at least 2 hours (I left it over night) in the fridge.
– Preheat oven to 200 C. Put the chicken in.
– After 30 minutes, check if there’s a lot of juice in the tray, you need to pour the juice off from the tray (I didn’t do that, I wanted it to be moist).
– Check again after 15 minutes. It should be done by now.
I served this with roasted potato, boiled vegetables and grain mustard creme fraiche
Happy cooking! 🙂