Tuesday again (already?). Well, just like last week, no menu planner for this week. I’ll start putting more menu planner starting on March. So, today I’ll just share my baby sister’s favourite snack. Steamed buns with chicken and mushroom filling. And sorry for short posts lately. I think I pretty much filled my brain with lots of things I want to know and learn more about sugar paste / fondant. As the result, I couldn’t think about anything interesting to write (just like this post :p)
Actually this food is originally from China. But its very popular in Indonesia now. Lots of people selling this thing. You can buy it in almost everywhere. Just remember to pick the right place to get this buns. I’m proud to be Indonesian, but sometimes I have to admit that people who sell food, they lack of hygiene. So be careful 🙂
I took the recipe for the buns from Maangchi (again), but for the filling I made it up :p
1 cup warm water
2 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups flour
3 chicken breasts, diced
200 grams button mushroom, thinly sliced
10 cm white part of leek, cut into small pieces
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1 small onion, chopped
Salt & pepper
– Mix water, salt, sugar and yeast and let it rest for 2 minutes.
– In a big bowl pour flour and mix with yeast mixture. Knead for 5 minutes with hand or 3 minutes with standing mixer.
– Let it rest for 30 minutes or until double in size.
– Take it out, and knead for 1 minute by hands to remove all the gas inside.
– Let it rest for another 30 minutes.
– Mean while, you can start preparing the filling.
– In a pan, pour 2 tbsp oil. Saute garlic and onion until fragrance.
– Add chicken, mushroom and leek. Cook for 5 minutes.
– Add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Cook well and let it cool down.
– Divide the dough into 16 pieces. Take 1 dough, flatten it with hands or rolling pin.
– Put 1/2 to 1 tbsp filling in the middle of the dough.
– Seal it properly and form into a nice small ball.
– Place the buns in the steamer and let it rest for 30 minutes before you turn the heat on.
– After 30 minutes then you can start steam it for 10 to 15 minutes.
– Serve warm.
It seems like a lot of work, but it’s really good for busy people. You can make this in the weekend or when you free. Then store in freezer. When you want to eat it, simply reheat in microwave 🙂
Happy steaming! :p