Samarinda style chicken porridge if we say it in English is also one of my favourite food (I know I have lots of favourite foods) not my fault though. Indonesia has so many islands, foods, languages etc. This one however came from my home island. Samarinda city is only 1 hour from Balikpapan (my hometown). It is east Kalimantan’s (borneo) capital city. But for some reasons most Indonesian think Balikpapan is the capital city😛
There are actually more foods from Kalimantan that I like so much. I grew up with those foods, so no wonder really. The only problem is, they’re a little bit tricky to make. A bit difficult for me to find the ingredients. And I can’t really substitute them, since it will definitely change the taste.
Although I’ve posted another chicken porridge, but I promise you this one is different. I like this one much better, but the other one is easier :p
2 cups rice
4 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
1 banana shallot
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1 lemon grass
2 lime leaves
2 cm galangal
2 bay leaves
– Wash rice 3 times, until the water clean.
– Cook rice with water and chicken stock in rice cooker / pot.
– Stir once in a while. Add more water if you want runny porridge.
– Meanwhile blitz everything except lemon grass, leaves and galangal into a smooth paste. Then saute the paste, add lemon grass, galangal and the leaves.
– Add around 3 cups of water, add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
– Hard boiled egg
– Fried or boiled chicken liver
– Shredded chicken
– Sliced tomatoes
– Chili sauce
– Sliced parsley
So, put some porridge in a bowl, add all the condiments then pour the broth all over it.
Yeah.. lots of things in a bowl, I know. But that’s the point. It’s really good. You should try it sometime
Happy cooking everyone!
note: Just an additional note, the way I cook my hard boiled egg is, put egg in cold water then put in on stove over high heat for 13 minutes. Turn off the heat, leave it in the pot for 2 minutes then put the eggs in cold water.