This week will be a special week. Because I’m going to post 3 sweet recipes. Yup! You heard it right. Only sweets this week🙂
This is just simply to celebrate my short holiday with the family. After more than 6 months with no holiday (poor hubby😦 ) finally we’ll be able to go somewhere again (yaaay! ^^). So, I am out of the city right now. We’re visiting hubby’s uni friends.
I saw this recipe in Laura’s Kicthen’s video in youtube. I don’t know much about soft pretzel. But I remember I’ve tried it once when I lived in Singapore. It was quite expensive for my salary that time. The pretzel was really nice, really fluffy, soft and sweet. So when I saw the video, it didn’t take long until I try it.
After all the work, I was a bit disappointed with the result. When its still freshly baked, warm and just out from the oven, t was really nice and fluffy. But when it gets colder. it became really hard and chewy. I don’t know if its supposed to be like that or not
If you have a better recipe for soft pretzels, please do tell me. I love soft pretzel a lot, and want to make it again after I found better recipe.
1 1/2 cups warm water (50 C)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
8g dry yeast
4 to 5 cups AP flour
6 cups of water
½ cup baking Soda
– Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Set it aside for at least 3 minutes.
– Add the salt and flour slowly. If the dough still very soft and sticky after 4 cups. Add 1 tbsp at a time until you have reached the nice consistency. It should be still soft but not sticky anymore. If you use standing mixer, it’ll take around 5 to 7 minutes to knead it. But if you use your hands, it might take around 10 minutes.
– Leave it to rest and rise for 1 hour.
– Preheat your oven to 210 C.
– Heat the water in a large pan. And add the baking soda.
– Cut the dough into 15 equal pieces, roll each piece into a long rope and make U shape. Then bring both of the edges back down, so it’ll form a pretzel shape. Pinch the ends.
– When the water is boiling, turn down the heat into medium. And cook the pretzels in a boiling water for 30 seconds ONLY. So each side only take 10 to 15 seconds.
– Place them on a baking tray.
– Brush the pretzels with the egg. And sprinkle pearl sugar or caster sugar.
– Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
– If you want to make the bite size, just simply cut the dough (after you poached it). And brush with egg and sprinkle sugar on top.