Last post of this week’s special.
WARNING! LONG POST! 🙂
I was thinking to make something easy, quick, yummy and chocolatey. I like pancake a lot. And so I decided to try to make pancake cake. My favourite topping is maple syrup. What’s your favourite topping? 🙂
Made this as a surprise for hubby (as usual, yes!). There was a story behind this cake. It was a busy day for me. After dropped my daughter in a daycare, I went to do my weekly grocery shop. It took me around 2 and a half hours to do the shopping, then lots of dishes need to be done. And messy living room with toys all over the floor. And I only have 2 hours left before my daughter some home. I’m sure you can imagine the scenes 😛
I finally made it. Finished everything including the cake before I picked up my daughter. It was still a bit cold outside, so I decided to put the cake on a table in our balcony (didn’t fit in the fridge :D). Hubby finally home, we were ready for dinner. When I sat on the sofa ready to eat my dinner, hubby was like “OOOOOH!!!”, I said “Whaaat?”. “You’re hiding something from me”. And I said, “Hide what? The cake? I’m not hiding it from you, I just put it outside because it didn’t fit n the fridge”. My silly hubby never pay attention much what’s going on around him 😛
1 cup flour
2 cups milk
50g melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cream
– In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, cream, and butter using a hand whisk. Mix until incorporated.
– Add flour, icing sugar, vanilla essence and salt. Mix well.
– If you have a cooking spray use that for your pan to cook the pancake, but if you don’t you can use vegetable oil and kitchen paper.
– Take around 1 ladle or 1/4 cup pancake batter and pour and swirl the batter with the pan lifted.
– Cook until the top is slightly glossy and when you check the bottom has some nice light golden brown colour.
– Repeat the process.
Chocolate Almond Filling
1 1/3 cups whipping cream
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
– In a large bowl, whisk everything together until form a stiff peak. Set aside
1 cup dark chocolate (at lest 52% cocoa)
1/2 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
– In a small pot, heat the cream until just boiling.
– If you use block chocolate, roughly chop the chocolate. And place it in a pot with the hot cream in it and whisk until the chocolate is melted and has a smooth texture. Add in vanilla essence and mix again. Let it cool before using it.
– Place a pancake on a serving plate and brush very lightly with the ganache while its still thin (don’t worry if your ganache already set, you can just heat it in microwave).
– Spread the cream filling thinly over the pancake.
– Repeat the process. Set aside.
– With remaining ganache, spread it all over the cake. Let it set in a room temperature.