I just noticed that I never really post any kind of fried rice. Yet, I make it so very often. Whenever I’m feeling lazy or dunno what to cook, fried rice / noodle always the last choice. Actually this fried rice is inspired from salted fish fried rice. But hubby doesn’t like salted fish at all. So I used smoked mackerel instead.
In Indonesia, fried rice is usually for breakfast and dinner. Yup, we eat rice for breakfast too. Rice all the time. So lots of mothers in Indonesia got up at 4 or 5 in the morning to cook lots of food (2 or 3 side dishes) for breakfast and lunch. Including my mum. And my mum is a working mum, she is an elementary school teacher. I can not imagine my self being her. She’s working, has 3 daughters, and never let her children and husband go to school / work without eating breakfast. Total awesome!
Anyway, the first time I made my own fried rice was long time ago. I think I was around 7 or 8 years old. You think I’m awesome right? 😛
- 5 cups cooked rice (overnight is better)
- 200g smoked mackerel, picked / shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat both of oil in a large wok / pan, saute garlic until fragrance.
- Add ketchup, oyster sauce and sweet soy sauce, stir well.
- Add rice, mix well until you see no white spot in the rice anymore.
- Lastly add smoked mackerel, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fried egg, prawn crackers, pickled cucumber (recipe coming soon).
note: you can pretty much add anything to your fried rice, the sky is the limit. So don’t worry about not getting it right 🙂