Before I share the recipe of my version of churros, let me tell you first. This is NOT my first time making churros. I have tried so many times (don’t remember exactly) and always very disappointed. Most of the time the dough is way too hard so I couldn’t push it out of my nozzle. Then I had to use spoon to “shape” them.
And I finally saw this video in youtube. Looked easy and the consistency of the dough is very promising. The problem is Ramsay didn’t mentioned how much flour he used. I had to googled the recipe and I found it. I decided to try it. Actually when I read the recipe, it was already suspicious. Something doesn’t look right in the recipe, but I tried it anyway. And I was right. I barely mix the dough with a spatula, looked like a solid bread though. So very hard. Then I added more eggs to the mixture, mix some more, and finally the result is acceptable. But of course I’m always looking for a perfect recipes 🙂
- 200g flour
- 50g butter
- 200ml water
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- ground cinnamon
- Put butter and water in a pot over medium heat. Cook until the butter melts.
- Add flour and salt in. Mix well. Take off from the heat.
- Keep stirring until the mixture cooled down.
- Add eggs. Mix well.
- Get 3 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon, mix well. Set aside.
- In a preheated deep fryer, test if the oil is at the right temperature. Put a tiny amount of the churros in the oil, if it floats right away then you’re good to go. The oil should be around 165 to 180 C.
- Place the dough in a piping bag with big star nozzle.
- Pipe around 7 to 10cm long and fry it right away.
- Cook until it has nice golden brown colour and take off from the oil.
- While they still warm, place them in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Make sure the churros covered in the sugar.
for chocolate sauce
- 100g dark chocolate
- 50ml cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp caster sugar (I like it sweet :P)
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- Heat the cream, sugar and vanilla until it reached the boiling point.
- Add chocolate and butter. Mix well.
Eat the churros while they still warm. I suggest to make the chocolate sauce first. Give it a try and tell me what you think 🙂