I don’t understand why most of people assumed that because I’m Indonesian (born and grew up in Indonesian too) it means I cook Indonesian food everyday. My husband is Swedish so he’s not used to food with lots of spices and spicy. Meaning, I cook Swedish foods sometimes too. Apart from that both me and husband like to try different foods from other countries too. Whatever look appetizing and I’m familiar with the ingredients everytime I’m looking for ideas or even from my recipe books I’ll give it a try.
Of course I’m so proud with Indonesian cuisine. We have so many islands and sooooo many types of foods. But that doesn’t mean food from other countries don’t taste that good. I have tried so many tasty foods that come from different country. And that way, I don’t get bored with the same Indonesian menu every month.
So, this time I’m making Kimchi fried rice (I’ll just assume that you all know where kimchi comes from :p). I never tried proper homemade kimchi before. Ever. And when I eat in Korean restaurant, often the kimchi is not that original anymore.
I was really happy when I found this kimchi in Korean shop in Stockholm. It was a bit expensive though, but I wanted to try it so very bad, so I bought it anyway 😛
I knew what I want to do with it. This fried rice is one of them.
I’ve made fried rice so many times (one of my lazy food), but I can’t do kimchi fried rice without the kimchi, right? right? So then I gave it a try aaaaaaaand… so very different with Indonesian fried rice. In a good way though 🙂
- 250g kimchi, sliced
- 500g cooked rice
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 5 stalks bok choy, sliced
- 2 tbsp hot pepper powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper
- Preheat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan / wok.
- Add sliced kimchi to the wok. Saute for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add rice, and stir well. Make sure no lumps of rice.
- Add hot pepper powder and sugar. Stir.
- Add spring onion and bok choy, Stir well. Take off from the heat.
- Lastly, add salt if its still not salty enough for you. Because the kimchi it self already seasoned.
- Serve with fried egg on top.