This food is inspired by my Mum-in-law. When me and husband just moved back to Sweden, we lived with husband’s Mum for about 1 month or so (we were homeless, jobless and I was pregnant that time, so perfect! (not) :P).
Anyway, I didn’t know much about Sweden before I met my husband. Except the part where I wasn’t so stupid to think Sweden and Switzerland are the same and I knew that Stockholm is the capital city (I always like Geography a lot). Apart from those 2… ah-ah. Until husband told me that IKEA is from Sweden (when I realized that IKEA is all about blue and yellow, I felt really stupid :P), ABBA and many more. As for the food, when we were still dating, we went to a grocery shop to get some stuffs, I saw a ready meal called “Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs” and then I was like.. why Swedish meatballs? Aren’t all meatballs the same?
So, after I saw that, I told my husband that I want to try a proper Swedish meatballs, which he passed it to his Mum and Grandma 😀
Now we’re back to the point.
One day, my mum-in-law shopped ingredients to make meatballs. And she has feta cheese in her fridge for while and she didn’t know what to do with it. So she mashed the cheese into small crumbs and mix it with the meat.
I never like cheese that much (usually only cheddar or parmesan) and feta cheese has that unique smell and taste (and I’m not a big fan of that), but surprisingly, I liked the meatballs a lot. Even it had feta cheese mixed with it. So that’s the story of this food 😛
- 800g minced beef
- 2 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 pack feta cheese, cubed (300g)
- 300g spinach, lightly sauted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Place the beef in a bowl. Add bbq sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Divide the beef into 4 portions.
- Take 1 portion of beef, flatten it with your hand, put some spinach in the middle and feta on top of the spinach. Shape the beef into a big ball.
- Take aluminium foil (big enough to cover the ball). And wrap the ball with it.
- Repeat the process.
- Place the beef balls in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
I served my beef balls with roasted potatoes, salad and one of my favourite super easy creme fraiche sauce.