Do you know a type of chili called piri piri or peri peri? I love its spiciness.
During my stay in the UK, I used to go to this chicken restaurant that serve really good chicken / liver / burger. If you live in the UK, you know which restaurant I mean😛. Ever since my friend introduce me to this restaurant, I always go there at least once a month and eat the spicy chicken. Felt like home. And the price really affordable. How I wish they have that restaurant here.
The first time I tried the peri peri chicken livers, I picked the super spiciest one they have. And… I regretted it. It was really spicy, like.. really really spicy. Took me a while to finish the whole thing. After that, I felt really full from all the water I drank😛
To recreate that feeling again, I was googling here and there to find the best and closet recipe. And I finally found this recipe. Best one for me, that’s why I decided to write it here.
I think, this recipe would be too spicy if you’re not a big fan of chillies. So I suggest you to reduce the amount of the chili here🙂
- 300g chicken livers, cleaned
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 30ml cider vinegar (I used non alcohol vinegar)
- 50ml sweet chilli sauce
- 100ml piri piri sauce
- salt & pepper
for piri piri sauce:
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 4 bird eye chillies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 50ml lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- First thing to make is the sauce. Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor / blender. Blitz until nice and smooth.
- In a preheated pan, add 2 tbsp and put the livers in. Cook with medium heat until both sides are slightly brown. Then add onion in. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add sweet chilli sauce, piri piri sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a little bit more water if it’s still too dry.
- Simmer the livers for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread / garlic bread and salad.
The photo above is just a simple stir fry green bean with cherry tomatoes. Garlic powder, salt and pepper only.