The weather yesterday was raining, grey, cold, windy and dark in the area where I live. I was staying home because my little daughter was sick. And I thought something with broth will be nice to be eaten in that kind of weather. Then I decided to make kimchi soup (jjigae)
Remember my kimchi fried rice? I only used half of the kimchi and kept the rest for something else. It doesn’t go bad that quick since it’s fermented cabbage.
And I’m a big fan of Maangchi too, I’ve watched almost all her videos and made me crave for Korean food everytime I watch her video. I took this recipe from her website too, but as usual I did some changes in it.
I’ll share with you my version of kimchi soup.
- 250g kimchi, sliced
- 1 tbsp hot pepper paste
- 1 tbsp hot pepper powder
- 1 tsp sugar (to taste)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 stalks spring onion, sliced
- 200g firm tofu, cubed
- sesame oil
- Prepare a large pot. Add sesame oil, and put the kimchi into the pot. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add sliced onion, hot pepper paste and powder and sugar. Stir.
- Add water and tofu. Cook until the water is boiling for 2 minutes. Taste.
- Add spring onion and prawns. Turn off the heat.
- Serve with warm rice or just the soup.