Learn Indonesian 🙂
Sweet potato = Ubi
Purple = Ungu
Purple sweet potato = Ubi ungu
Klepon is Indonesian traditional rice cake. Usually made from rice flour only. But in this case, I added purple sweet potato. After getting lots of views on my purple sweet potato ice cream, I decided to make something from purple sweet potato again. It has a very unique taste as well as the nice colour. Really love the deep and bright purple. And it’s natural too! 🙂
Very very easy to make and also quick. With only few ingredients, you can get a sweet snack in less than 15 minutes. Its best eaten when it’s still fresh and warm. And when you bite it, the melted palm sugar will try to run away from the klepon. Really good.
So, let’s see what we need to make Indonesian klepon.
- 150g rice flour
- 150g mashed purple sweet potato
- a pinch of salt
- palm sugar (crumbs)
- 100g desiccated coconut (fresh one is better)
- Place the coconut in a clean kitchen towel and steam for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, place rice flour, salt and sweet potato. Mix well.
- Add water little by little, just enough until the flour mixture become a big lump. and shape-able.
- Boil water in a pot.
- Take a little bit of the dough, shape it into a ball, make a hole in the middle, and place some palm sugar. Shape it into a ball again and seal it properly (make sure there’s no crack in the ball, otherwise it will burst when you boil it)
- When the balls float, take them out and put in the steamed coconut straight away.
recipe source: Hesti’s Kitchen