I like pita bread a lot. But I’m not a big fan of store bought pita bread. So one day I tried to find pita bread recipe in food gawker. They all looked great, difficult to decide which one I want to follow. And finally my heart decided to follow a recipe from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen.
Unlike most of pita bread that will go flat right after you take it off from the oven / grill. This one stays “puffy” (as you can see in the photos). So it’s easier to fill it with stuffs. In this case I filled it with bbq pulled chicken (recipe coming soon 🙂 ). And about the taste, pretty much like other pita breads 😀
You know that I’m a lazy cook right? (right?) so I made a short cut when I made this pita bread. The original recipe, first you have to mix yeast with water and let it rest for 10 minutes. But in my case, I just dumped everything into a bowl and mixed it. Lucky it still worked 😀
- 4 cups (512 g) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12g dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 3/4 cups ( 393 ml) warm water
- pinch of salt
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and knead for 8 to 10 minutes (by hands) or 6 to 8 minutes using standing mixer with dough hook attachment.
- Let it rest for at least 1 hour or until double in size.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape them into balls. Let it rest again for 30 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, take 1 ball and flatten it. If it’s too sticky, sprinkle some flour.
- Let it rise once again for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn on your oven into 225° C. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes.