I wonder how many of you suspected that I’d be posting a recipe using pita bread?
I love watching food shows. Cooking competition, cooking shows (Nigella, Jamie, Gordon, Rachael Ray and many more), eating shows (Indonesian show called Wisata Kuliner, Man vs Food) and cake decorating shows (Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes). Pretty much all food related shows. And books.
So, everytime I watch Man vs Food, Adam Richman always managed to make me hungry. All the foods he ate look very tasty and inviting. Especially when it comes to barbecued foods… ooooh… *drooling*
Born and grew up in Indonesia made me in love (naturally) with barbecued foods. The weather is “summer” all year. That allows you to grill foods outside every day. And here is the thing I miss a lot. During new year’s eve, very very common and lots of people are grilling while waiting for the midnight. Usually we grill chicken, fish, prawns, squids and sausage. And of course we do it in Indonesian style (*read it with gangnam style music in your head :D), eaten with rice, extra hot home made chilli sauce and some salads.
Every year, every new year’s eve, that’s what I miss the most. Because if I do that here, the neighbours will think I’m crazy 😛 But who wants to be frozen in the middle of the night anyway? And I might have to wait for very long time for my food to be cooked 😀
Anyway, after watching Man vs Food, I got inspired to make my own pulled chicken sandwich (using short cut). I have no time to slow cook my chickens and it’s expensive too, using the oven for very long time. So I boiled the chicken first, shred the meat, and mix with barbecue sauce. Voila! 🙂
- 1 kg chicken with bones
- 5 tbsp barbecue sauce (I bought it)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium size onion, roughly chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp all-round spice
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt & pepper
- Prepare a large pot to boil the chicken. Make sure you put in the chicken when the water is still cold. It helps to make a better chicken stock. When it’s boiling, turn down the heat into medium. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Take the chickens out from the stock (don’t throw the stock, you can use it for something else, just let it cool down and store in the freezer). Separate the meat from the bones and the skins. Set aside.
- In the same pot or large pan, add the oil and saute onion for 1 minute.
- Add sliced mushrooms. Saute for 1 more minute.
- Add bbq sauce, all round spice, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and a little bit chicken stock.
- Bring it to the boil then add shredded chicken in. Mix well. Simmer.
- Add sliced celery in. Stir. Add a bit more chicken stock if you think it’s too thick. Just to loosen it a bit.
- Lastly, add salt & pepper if needed.
- Serve this puled chicken with salad of your choice and use the pita bread for your sandwich.
note: For the all-round spice, I think you can only find it in Scandinavian countries, I’m not sure. Just add a pinch of these ground spices (coriander seed, nutmeg, cardamom, clove). Otherwise, I think it won’t change the taste much if you skip the all-round spice.
p.s. sorry if I write a weird confusing story today, because it’s 6 in the morning here, woke up too early and dunno what to do 😀