This month’s theme is cinnamon (you can read more about the challenge here). But since December is a special month for lots of people so we decided to do a little bit twist to the challenge. It has to be something sweet. Anything. But it has to be sweet.
So for this challenge I made cinnamon bun cupcakes. But I’m really sorry that I cheated again this time. The recipe I use here is just a plain vanilla cupcakes (ready mix) with cinnamon filling and nutella frosting. Not much I can share in this post really. Because it’s the end of the year and the whole family is sick. And we have to travel to south Sweden this weekend to visit my Mum-in-law. And when I’m sick, I just don’t feel like to be in the kitchen too much. But at the same time, I don’t want to be too late for the challenge, in case I’ll be too tired or not in the mood of writing after coming back from the short visit to Mum-in-law.
If you wonder what I put on my cupcakes, those are pearl sugar (they call it pearl sugar here in Sweden). And you sprinkle that on bread, cake, cookies. I think, Swedish people doesn’t like icing very much (husband please correct me :P). I personally prefer this sugar too on my sweets.
- 1 box vanilla cupcake mix
- 1 batch nutella frosting
- 1 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
Nutella frosting (adapted from Sweetapolita)
1 cup (227 g) butter, room temperature
1 cup (130 g) icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp nutella
1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven. Prepare cupcake moulds with the liners.
- Follow the instruction to make the cupcakes. When the batter is ready time to make the filling,
- Mix butter, cinnamon and brown sugar in a small bowl until combined.
- Fill 1/3 of the cupcake moulds with the batter. Take 1/4 tsp of the filling mixture, place in the middle of the batter.
- Add more batter to the mould. Fill it up to 2/3 or 3/4 full, depending on your cupcake mix.
- Follow the instruction to bake them. Cool them down.
- Whisk the butter until pale and fluffy. Add icing sugar, vanilla and nutella. Whisk some more. Add milk if it’s too stiff.
- Put some of the frosting on the cupcakes, sprinkle some pearl sugar on top if you want,