Monday again! Dunno if I should be happy or not. Maybe I shouldn’t, since monday is a busy day for husband at work but it also means our family holiday is getting closer. What about you, do you hate monday?
In this post I’m going to share one of our family favourite bun. Coffee bun. It’s weird that we love this bun so much and we don’t even drink coffee at home. Everyone in the family knows that, they always bring they’re own coffee when they’re visiting us. That’s how I got the coffee for this recipe 😀
This type of bun is actually very popular in South East Asia. At least in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.
The first time I made this bun, my husband liked it. And he doesn’t like sweet breads or Asian type of bread (mostly fluffy and sweet). That made me even more happy to make this anytime.
This recipe will make 20 buns. Original recipe is here.
- 500g bread flour
- 75g caster sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 8g dried yeast / 33g fresh yeast
- 1 egg
- 270g milk
- 60g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 150g salted butter (cubed)
- 100g butter
- 80g icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp coffee (dissolved with 1 tbsp water)
- 100g all purpose flour
- For buns: Place all the ingredients (except butter) in a mixing bowl. Mix until it forms a nice and almost smooth dough.
- Add butter, mix again until the butter incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 20 pieces. Form each dough into a small ball shape. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take each ball and fill with 1 cube of cold butter and seal it tightly (we don’t want to butter to leak out during baking).
- Let it rest again before baking for at least 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can make the topping.
- Place butter and sugar in a small bowl and using a small hand whisk mix until combined. Add eggs and coffee. Beat again until well combined and then add flour. Mix well.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag and place it in the fridge until its ready to use.
- After resting for an hour, pipe the coffee mixture in a spiral onto the buns starting from the center of the bun.
- Bake the buns in preheat oven at 200°C for 12 to 13 minutes.