It’s Fattisdagen (Fat Tuesday) here in Sweden. And to celebrate that the Swedes usually eat Semla / Semlor (plural). Before, you can only find semla probably around a month before the day. But now supermarkets, bakeries and cafes selling them all year long.
I’ve posted about semla here before. You can read more over there.
To celebrate the Fat Tuesday (well, I can’t really say I’m celebrating it. It’s just a reason to make something different. Aren’t we all food bloggers do that? :P) I decided to make semla in another way. Cupcakes. I love making cupcakes. They’re easy to make, quick, less messy when you eat it and of course tastes good.
Basically, semla is only plain buns with almond paste and cream filling. It works totally the same with cupcakes. Plain vanilla cupcakes will do the work. Or, you can also make the buns and bake them in cupcake moulds with cupcake liners. I think they’ll be very cute (I think I have to do that sometime :D).
The cupcake recipe I use here is from Glorius Treats (I love her and all her recipes and she just released a book!). But you can also use your own cupcake recipe if you’re more comfortable with it or a ready cupcake mix if you want less work.
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- a pinch of vanilla powder / 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- almond paste
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Prepare the cupcake pan with the liners.
- In a large bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and sugar with a hand mixer (high) for about 1 minute. Add vanilla and oil. Mix until incorporated.
- Add buttermilk. Mix thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Fill the liner about 2/3 full. Bake cupcakes for 12 – 14 minutes. Take out from the oven. And let it cool before decorating it.
- Take a cupcake, cut the centre to make enough hole for the filling.
- Take around 1 – 1 ½ tsp of almond paste and put in the middle of the cupcake.
- Top with whipped cream. Put back the cupcake lid (the part you cut). And sprinkle some icing sugar.
- Serve cold.