Found an old
missing photo from last year. This was a cake I made for my in-laws when I invited them for lunch at our place back in September.
Last year we had a fire accident and made us homeless for about a month. So we stayed at my mum-in-law’s and my husband’s grandmother’s for a couple of weeks. And this was a cake I made for them when I invited them to a thank-you lunch at our place. Just something simple. One of my favourite sweet. A roll cake.
This kind of cake is perfect for spring or summer. Very refreshing and light sweets.
Original recipe here.
- 5 egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 40ml vegetable oil
- 60ml water
- 80g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 150g egg white
- 40g caster sugar
- 15g corn starch
- fresh peach, cubed
- raspberry jam
- whipped cream
- whipped cream
- roasted sliced almond
- grated chocolate
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Prepare 24x24cm baking pan. Greased.
- Ingredients #1: In a large bowl, whisk egg yolk and sugar until light and pale. While keep beating the yolk, add oil. Add water. Add flour, salt and vanilla (the batter should be thick). Set aside.
- Ingredients #2: In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add sugar little by little and whisk until soft peak. And add corn starch. Mix with spatula just until everything is incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter #1 to the meringue and fold gently until everything is mixed. Pour the rest of the batter #1 and continue to fold gently with meringue-batter mixture.
- Pour cake batter to the prepared cake pan, and tap the pan a couple of times to the kitchen table to get rid of the air bubble inside the batter.
- Bake the cake in 170 – 175° C for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is slightly light brown.
- Take the cake out from the oven and let it cool down a bit. When it’s still warm, roll the cake right away to avoid cracks. Set aside and let it cool completely.
- When it’s cool, unroll the cake carefully and spread some cream, jam and fruits (anything you like, really). Roll it back again peel the baking paper and put it in the fridge until ready to serve.
Sorry about the photos though, unusual style because we were in hurry. Everyone was waiting for the cake 😀